Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Duck Dynasty Dumbass

See what I did there with the alliteration? I'm clever.


So this is a polarizing topic, and I'm still seeing stuff about it, so I can't resist.

If you've been living under a rock, or you're reading this ten years later or something, Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson is a bigoted piece of crap who just got fired from the television program for the spite he was drooling in an interview, and it's created a social media civil war.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/duck-dynasty-controversy-galvanizes-partisan-backlash-article-1.1557327

To be honest I have not read exactly what it was he said, I don't need to, because it really doesn't matter. I'm going to present an opinion here I haven't seen much of.

Why do you give a fuck people?

You may perceive him as a bigoted asshole, as I do; or as a paragon of Christian virtue. In which case you are also a bigoted asshole, but that's neither here nor there. You have the right to your opinions, and to speak them, and I have a right to call you a moron.

You may feel that A&E was justified in firing him for violating their standards of social conscience, or you may feel that they are impeding his right to free speech.

For the record, the first amendment only prevents agents of the government from inhibiting free speech, it doesn't apply to corporate entities, and "equal opportunity employment" is a choice, it's not a law. Chick-Fil-A openly fires people for being gay and they aren't violating law because it doesn't say "equal opportunity employer" in their hiring contract. Regardless of ethics, A&E has a legal right to fire people for anything they say while speaking as a representative of the station. They can't fire him for what he says to his neighbor, but if he's on camera, he represents them.

That being said, no matter which side of the fence you should happen to fall on, why does it really matter? Get over it and move on. If you think A&E was right, good for you, now go back to whatever it is you do when you're not in a froth about celebrities.

If you think they were wrong, I'm sure Robertson can find some other station to put him on camera, until a few weeks ago he was one of the most popular men in America. Also, he was a billionaire before the show. I'm sure after they fired him he wept all the way home in his Lamborghini... Yeah... I guarantee this is nothing but more publicity to him, and all publicity is good publicity. Just ask Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus.

Get over it and move on America.

No comments:

Post a Comment